Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about doing business in the U.S. and Ecuador.

The Commercial Unit primarily serves exporters of U.S. goods and services, particularly small and medium-sized businesses.  We have a global network of professional consultants in nearly 300 domestic and overseas offices.  Our in-depth counseling includes specific information to help you market your products and services in the global market.

The Commercial staff provides a combination of cost-effective basic and customized services to help you obtain market information, participate in trade events, and identify potential partners.

Our commercial specialists have extensive local market expertise and can provide you with comprehensive market analysis and matchmaking assistance in all industries.

We also help Ecuadorian companies source U.S. suppliers and import U.S. goods and services.  Ecuadorian companies interested in exporting to the United States should contact ProEcuador.

Ecuadorian companies interested in exporting agricultural products to the United States should contact ProEcuador.

You will find information about “Food and Agricultural Import Regulations and Standards-FAIRS” in the Foreign Agricultural Service page.

The U.S. Commercial Service does not help U.S. companies find foreign suppliers. Pro Ecuador is the Ecuadorian government office that supports local exporters.

Please visit the SelectUSA website where you will find information on investing in the United States, with advice on programs and incentives to help your business succeed.

Please visit  2023 trade shows for the latest information on International Buyer Program (IBP) shows.  If you would like assistance registering for a show, please contact us at or

U.S. Embassy Quito is unable to formally verify the legal status of a U.S. company.  Foreign entities seeking information on the legal status of U.S. companies may refer to a variety of sources including individual state corporate registration offices, local chambers of commerce, the Better Business Bureau, or databases such as D&B Hoovers or Thomas Net.


In addition, Corporations whose shares are traded publicly are also registered with the Security & Exchange Commission (SEC), which manages an online search portal:

If you are a U.S. citizen wishing to enter Ecuador, you must present a U.S. passport with at least six months remaining validity. Ecuadorian immigration officials also sometimes request evidence of return or onward travel, such as an airline ticket.

Under Ecuadorian law, U.S. citizens traveling for business or tourism on a tourist passport can enter Ecuador for up to 90 days per calendar year without a visa. Extensions for up to another 90 days can be requested through the provincial migration offices.