Message for U.S. Citizens
Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
March 22, 2022
Date: March 22, 2022
Location: Downtown Quito
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place March 23 starting near Arbolito Park and heading towards the Presidential Palace. The Federation of University Students of Ecuador (FEUE), the United Workers Front (FUT), and the National Union of Educators (UNE) are reportedly organizing the demonstrations. The demonstrations are scheduled to start at 4:00 p.m. with as many as 1,500 participants. Some past demonstrations have turned violent and security forces have responded with crowd dispersal agents to maintain public order.
During this time, please take the following actions:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Monitor local media for updates on road closures.
- Exercise caution if transiting through affected areas.
- Consider alternate routes.
- Maintain increased vigilance.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)