Event: A 6.0 magnitude earthquake of moderate intensity was registered near Guayaquil at approximately 5:30PM this evening. Aftershocks may occur.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid areas where damage may have occurred, including buildings and roads.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Prepare and review emergency-response plans. Useful information is available from the U.S. Geological Survey’s What can I do to be prepared for an earthquake? (usgs.gov).
- Register in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety updates.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance. U.S. citizens are encouraged to read the webpage on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.