How to Apply for a Job at the Embassy and the Consulate
Read carefully the requirements of each position announced. If you do not meet ALL the requirements of the position your application will not be considered, this includes sending your application along with supporting documentation before the deadline of the position you are applying for.
If you have ALL the requirements for a specific position follow the next steps:
Job applications process for Ecuadorians:
1. Send your application using the DS-0174 form (it is possible to print, fill, scan and send or use the editable version of the document) DS 0174 Form available in editable version.
2. All supporting documentation (transcripts, diplomas, work certificates, etc related to the job announcement).
3. We highly recommend an interest letter that shows how ALL of the requirements are met with your specific background and experience.
Application will be received at the U.S. Embassy in Quito until and the U.S. Consulate General in Guayaquil until the deadline marked on the position through:
- E-mail at HROquito@state.gov (for Quito) and Guayaquil-Recruitment@state.gov (for Guayaquil); or
- Drop the application with the guards of the Embassy / Consulate; applicants will not be allow to come inside the compound.
For other than Ecuadorian Citizens: You must have a work permit or type of visa that allows you to work in Ecuador.
Notes from Human Resources Office (HRO):
Due to the volume of applications that we receive only “short-listed” candidates will be contacted. The Human Resources Office in Quito and Guayaquil does not keep a database with prospective candidates after position is filled.
Please do not send original support documentation (certificates, diplomas, etc), please send only copies relevant to the position you are applying for. Applications not in response to a specific opening and those that do not meet all the requirements will not be considered or retained in the Human Resources Office (HRO).
English/Spanish levels are determined by the hiring supervisor upon the needs of the position, short-listed candidates will be called to take the corresponding tests at the Embassy / Consulate.
The Embassy and the Consulate have the right to test applicants for the different positions; either technical or practical test will be required. The hiring supervisor decides on the type of test, if the applicant does not meet the timeline for the test(s) the Embassy / Consulate has the right not to consider that application.
Successful applicants will have to go through a security clearance process, be advise that if you have stayed as an illegal immigrant, your application will not be considered.
Applications are accepted until 5:00 PM on the closing date, those received later will not be included in the process.
Note: The Embassy and the Consulate do not keep resumes in file, therefore you must submit a new application each time a new position opens.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM, USEFM who is a U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM, USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.