Natural Disaster Alert – U. S. Mission Ecuador (26 June 2018)
Location: Sierra Negra Volcano, Isabela Island, Galapagos, Ecuador
Event: According to the Ecuadorian Geographic Institute, on June 26, 2018 the Sierra Negra Volcano began erupting. Rural area habitants have been evacuated to Puerto Villamil as a precaution. The Ecuadorian Geographic Institute has advised visitors to avoid the area of the Sierra Negra until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of Isabela Island near the Sierra Negra Volcano.
- Monitor local media for updates. The Ecuadorian Geophysical Institute is on Facebook and Twitter.
- Contact your loved ones directly and/or update your social media status to inform people you are safe.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil if you are a U.S. citizen in need of emergency assistance.
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444