Date: June 10, 2022
Event: The Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of Ecuador (CONAIE) is planning demonstrations and road blockages nationwide from June 13 to June 15. Multiple roads in and out of Quito, including those leading to the airport, could be affected. Some past demonstrations have turned violent and security forces have responded with crowd dispersal agents to maintain public order.
Among the Roads Likely to be Affected Are: San Miguel del Común, Mariscal Sucre and Humberto Albornoz, Ruta Viva, Toll Intervalles, Intervalles and Guayaquil, Intervalles and Sebastiana de Benalcazar, Mitad del Mundo, Simón Bolívar sector el Troje, and Maldonado sector Escuela Riobamba. Please keep in mind that these locations are subject to change.
During this time, please take the following actions:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Monitor local media for updates on road closures.
- Exercise caution if transiting through affected areas.
- Consider alternate routes.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)