Register to Vote and Request Your Ballot

Message for U.S. Citizens
Register to Vote and Request Your Ballot
January 15, 2016

Make sure your ballots arrive in 2016

Register to vote now and request your ballots for the year.

The Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) registers you to vote and serves as a request for your state’s absentee ballots for the year. It is important to complete a new FPCA annually, every time you move, or at least 90 days prior to the election you want to vote in.

Completing a new FPCA is easy on the website of the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) at

  • Select your State from the drop-down on the home page.
  • At the bottom of the next page, look for the box entitled, “Register to Vote, Request a Ballot or Update My Voter Info.”
  • The FVAP online tool will walk you through the form, and provide you with a PDF packet to print, sign and send directly to your local election official (LEO); links are also provided for states that offer online voter registration.
  • You can check the status of your registration and/or ballot request by contacting your LEO at any time.

Remember, the only way your LEO knows how to reach you is via the information you provide! Some states allow a longer time between registrations; but if you submit a new FPCA every year, you won’t have to worry about your registration or ballot request status and can participate in all the elections you’re eligible for.

If you experience any issues or have questions, FVAP’s call center is available at 1-800-438-VOTE (8683) or at Toll-free phone numbers from 67 countries are listed at You can find the FVAP on Facebook at and follow them on Twitter at @FVAP.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Ecuador enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy or nearest U.S. Consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Regularly monitor the State Department’s website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution.  Read the Country Specific Information for Ecuador. For additional information, please refer to our “Traveler’s Checklist” page. Updated information on travel and security in Ecuador may also be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States or by calling 1-202-501-4444 outside the United States.

Contact information

U.S. Embassy Quito
Avigiras E12-170 y Eloy Alfaro
hone: +593-2-398-5000

U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil
Avenida Jose Rodriguez Bonin and Calle Santa Ana, San Eduardo
Phone: +593-4-371-7000

Dialing instructions within Ecuador:

  • Within the same city and from a land line use the last seven digits.
  • For calls from a mobile phone and for intercity telephone calls add the city code preceded by a 0.

Dialing instructions from the United States:

  • Add the 011 prefix for an international long distance line.

For after-hours emergencies, call the phone numbers listed above for assistance