U.S. Mission, Ecuador
Security Alert for U.S. Citizens
March 16, 2018
- City of Borbón, Esmeraldas province, Ecuador
An improvised explosive device detonated at an Ecuadorian naval station in Borbón, Ecuador on March 16, 2018. Initial reports state there were no injuries or deaths, but significant damage to the facility. This is in Esmeralda province near San Lorenzo, where a car bomb detonated on January 27, 2018.
Ecuadorian Government Officials have stated they will extend the limited State of Emergency in this region initially declared after the January 27 car bomb.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise increased caution in the region.
- See the Ecuador travel advisory at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/ecuador-travel-advisory.html for more information.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- City of San Lorenzo, Esmeraldas province, Ecuador
- City of Eloy Alfaro, Esmeraldas province, Ecuador
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter