Health/Travel Alert: Repatriation Update – U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador – March 28, 2020
Location: Ecuador (country-wide)
Event: Commercial and Planned Military Flight Options
The Embassy is aware of several flights with seats available from Quito and Guayaquil for U.S. citizens to return to the United States. These flights could fill at any time and there is no guarantee that future flights will be scheduled, so we urge those U.S. citizens wishing to depart to immediately arrange for their travel to the United States. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for their immediate return unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
- TAME flight departing from Quito to Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, March 29. Check the TAME website or email: email@example.com.
- LATAM is planning to operate a flight from Manta to Toronto on Sunday, March 29, to repatriate Canadian citizens. Check our website for additional information: https://ec.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-ecu-2/
- United Airlines flights departing Quito to Houston on Saturday, March 28. Interested travelers should book directly through United at https://www.united.com.
- Eastern Airlines flight from Guayaquil to Miami on Wednesday, April 1. Interested travelers should contact the airline directly at +1-855-216-7601, +1-877-971-0919, or +1-201-526-7616.
- U.S. military flight for a limited number of passengers from Quito to Norfolk, Virginia on Sunday, March 29. See full details below:
The Embassy is working on a repatriation option via U.S. military flight for a limited number of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) accompanying U.S. citizen family members wishing to depart Ecuador. There is no guarantee of this flight or the space available and schedules are subject to change at the last moment.
The U.S. military air flight is scheduled for Sunday, March 29 with a limited number of seats available. We have already notified individuals in the immediate Quito area who had previously expressed interest in departing from Ecuador via U.S. State Department-sponsored flights about this flight.
- Sunday, March 29, departing Quito at 5:25 p.m., overnighting in Panama, and arriving Norfolk, Virginia, on Monday, March 30
Requirements, restrictions, and helpful information:
- The flights are restricted to U.S. citizens and LPRs accompanying U.S. citizen family members. All passengers must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport or I-551 (green card) in order to qualify for a flight.
- Availability will be on a first-come first-served basis and will require a financial commitment in the form of a promissory note, which is NOT negotiable. We are not able to indicate how much the flight will cost each passenger at this time. All passengers must sign a promissory note to ensure payment of the required fare.
- This flight is not for the faint of heart and promises to be grueling. The flight will be in the cargo hold of a C-130 military transport aircraft, which is noisy and cold/hot depending on outside conditions. The route is from Quito to Panama then on to Norfolk, Virginia. The plane will overnight in Panama and passengers will likely not be able to disembark during that time. Passengers will also not have access to food or water, so will need to take enough of both for the entire flight. The flight will proceed to Norfolk on Monday, March 30.
- Please note this flight will arrive at a U.S. military installation and you will be responsible for coordinating your onward travel, including transit from the base to a commercial airport. The closest major airport is Norfolk International Airport (https://www.norfolkairport.com).
- If you are ill, you will not be permitted to fly. You will be required to complete a traveler health declaration form prior to your flight. Prior to departure from Ecuador and upon arrival to the United States you will undergo a temperature screening.
- Baggage is restricted to one bag that cannot exceed 50lbs. total.
- No animals are allowed on this flight.
- You may and should bring limited liquids and snacks but sufficient to last the entire flight.
Please express your interest in consideration for this U.S. military air flight by emailing: QTOUSCitizen@state.gov. To express interest, you MUST email by 7 p.m. Ecuador time TODAY, March 28. We will respond with more information if the flight is confirmed.
Please enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Embassy Quito security updates: https://step.state.gov/
Consult the Embassy’s website (https://ec.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Ecuador and the Department of State’s COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
We are working hard to bring #AmericansHome
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Ecuador Country Information and Travel Advisory page