Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy, Quito, Ecuador – May 22, 2020
The Embassy is aware of demonstrations planned for Monday, May 25, that may occur in and around Quito and other cities in Ecuador related to recent government economic measures.
Protests may take place in locations in Quito where past demonstrations have occurred, such as Parque Arbolito and near the National Assembly, the Presidential Palace, the Ministry of Education, and other localized areas in the south of Quito.
Actions to Take
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Monitor local media for updates on road closures and flight delays/cancellations (see ECU 911 and Quito/Guayaquil airport websites).
- Exercise caution if transiting through affected areas.
- Consider alternate routes.
- Maintain increased vigilance.
- Ensure adequate supplies of water, food, medications, cash, and fuel.
- U.S. citizens should continue to comply with all local restrictions on movement, social distancing requirements, and curfews.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444