Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy, Quito, Ecuador – October 21, 2020
The Embassy is aware of demonstrations planned for Thursday, October 22 in and around Quito and other cities in Ecuador. These demonstrations are in response to the Government of Ecuador’s response to protests in October of last year. Demonstrations always have the potential to turn violent. The main demonstration, with estimated attendance between 2,000 and 3,000 people, is expected to begin at approximately 3:00 p.m. in Parque del Arbolito in the central part of Quito.
U.S. Embassy personnel and family members have been directed to avoid the areas where demonstrations will occur.
During this time, please take the following actions:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Monitor local media for updates on road closures and flight delays/cancellation (see ECU911 and Quito / Guayaquil airport websites).
- Exercise caution if transiting through affected areas.
- Consider alternate routes.
- Maintain increased vigilance.
- Ensure adequate supplies of water, food, medications, cash, and fuel.
- U.S. citizens should continue to comply with all local restrictions on movement.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter