Message to U.S. Citizens
Ecuador Updates Entry Requirements
December 30, 2020
On December 23, the Government of Ecuador announced updates to its entry requirements to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. These entry requirements are in effect during the state of emergency announced December 21, 2020. Updated requirements to enter Ecuador include:
- All travelers (including minors) arriving in Ecuador must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than ten (10) days before entering the country. Note that airlines may deny boarding to travelers who do not present proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test. Upon arrival in Ecuador, travelers who do not have COVID-19 symptoms are not required to quarantine. (See our webpage for special rules for the Galapagos Islands). There are no exemptions from the negative PCR test requirement during the state of emergency.
- Travelers who arrive in Ecuador without proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test must take, at their own expense, a COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test upon arrival. The traveler must then quarantine for ten (10) days. Residents of Ecuador may quarantine at the address they declare upon entry. Non-residents must quarantine at accommodations approved by the Ministries of Tourism and Government. If the traveler receives a negative test result (COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen), the traveler must still isolate for five (5) days.
- A traveler who presents symptoms of COVID-19 upon arrival in Ecuador is required to perform a PCR or rapid antigen test (possibly at their own expense) and proceed to quarantine even if the traveler presents a negative COVID-19 PCR test at the airport of entry.
- Regardless of whether a negative COVID-19 PCR test is provided, random rapid antigen testing may be conducted at the airport and upon arrival. If the rapid antigen test is positive, the traveler must isolate for ten (10) days. Travelers under the age of fourteen (14) are exempt from the rapid antigen test requirement.
Please note procedures may change at any time. We recommend contacting the Ecuadorian embassy or consulate nearest you before traveling for the most updated information at https://www.cancilleria.gob.ec/estados-unidos/.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444