Message for U.S. Citizens
December 5, 2022
Date: December 5, 2022
Event: U.S. citizen tourists should exercise caution prior to engaging in adventure travel in Ecuador, such as mountain climbing, hiking, ziplining, kayaking, scuba diving, kitesurfing, rafting, snorkeling, tubing, and paragliding. Ecuador’s adventure tourism industry is unevenly regulated, and safety standards are often insufficient and unenforced. Several U.S. citizens have been injured or died while participating in adventure tourism in Ecuador in recent years. Adventure tourists should only participate in these activities using a trained and certified guide.
Actions to Take:
- Contract services through licensed travel agents and operators.
- Confirm travel agents and operators are registered with Ecuador’s Ministry of Tourism.
- Ensure adventure guides are licensed.
- Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about Adventure Travel.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
Ave. Avigiras E12-170 y Ave. Eloy Alfaro
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
Santa Ana St. and Jose Rodriguez Bonin Ave., San Eduardo
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter