Message for U.S. Citizens
March 7, 2023
Event: Multiple social organizations have called for demonstrations March 8 in Quito. In the past, some protests in Quito have turned violent. The demonstrations are scheduled to take place in several locations, including: Arbolito Park, Central University of Ecuador, Carondelet Palace, Ecuadorian Attorney General’s Office, National Assembly, Santo Domingo Plaza, and the Constitutional Court. The U.S. Embassy has instructed official Americans to avoid travel to the area between Avenida Cristóbal Colón (to the north) and Avenida Gral. Rumiñahui and the Virgen del Panecillo (to the south). See map.
During this time, please take the following actions:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Monitor local media for updates on road closures.
- Exercise caution if transiting through affected areas.
- Consider alternate routes.
- Maintain increased vigilance.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
Ave. Avigiras E12-170 y Ave. Eloy Alfaro
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
Santa Ana St. and Jose Rodriguez Bonin Ave., San Eduardo
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter