Location: Sangay Volcano, Morona Santiago Province, Ecuador.
Event: According to the Geophysical Institute of the National Polytechnic School, there is increased volcanic activity at Sangay volcano. The Ecuadorian Ministry of Tourism recommends that visitors do not hike up to the crater or approach the high areas of the volcano.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area near Sangay volcano.
- Review additional information at https://www.turismo.gob.ec/comunicado-oficial-15/.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter