The United States and Ecuador share deep and historic ties. Diplomatic relations between our two countries are among the longest standing in the hemisphere. The United States sent its first representative to Ecuador in 1825 when the U.S. Senate confirmed William Wheelwright to serve as U.S. Consul in Guayaquil, Ecuador. In 1839 the United States and Ecuador signed a Treaty of Peace, Friendship, Navigation, and Commerce.
Over the past nearly 200 years, the U.S.-Ecuador relationship has expanded in significant ways. The United States is Ecuador’s largest trading partner and its top partner in higher education. Our two nations collaborate on a wide range of issues of bilateral, regional, and global importance. U.S. and Ecuadorian law enforcement and security personnel work cooperatively to counter threats posed by transnational crime, illicit narcotics, and trafficking in persons. Additionally, our people-to-people ties are growing rapidly, through two-way tourism, robust commercial activity, and academic exchanges.
The U.S. Mission in Ecuador is dedicated to reinforcing and developing our historic relationship through a broad, constructive agenda that advances the interests of our two countries. This positive agenda is rooted in our substantial commercial and people-to-people ties, as well as our strong cooperation on education, culture, trade, tourism, security, disaster preparedness, social inclusion, and health, among other areas. Our partnership is also based in our shared values and our mutual desire to build a more democratic, inclusive, and secure future for our two nations.
The U.S. Mission in Ecuador is comprised of the U.S. Embassy in Quito and the U.S. Consulate General in Guayaquil. The U.S. Ambassador leads this Mission and serves as the personal representative of the President of the United States in Ecuador.
The U.S. Ambassador’s Residence in Quito, Ecuador is located on the edge of a traditional residential neighborhood along the eastern flank of the city, with a spectacular view of the valley of Tumbaco and the mountains beyond. The property was purchased by the Department of State in 1942, and construction of the residence began in 1946 under the direction of Ecuadorian contractor Miguel Andrade Marín. Ambassador John Simmons became the first official occupant of the residence on April 4, 1950. Featuring attractive and spacious rooms, extensive grounds complete with gardens and terraced landscaping, and recreation areas including a swimming pool, tennis court, and playground, the residence provides a welcoming environment for guests from Ecuador, the United States, and around the world.