Date: September 14, 2021
Location: Guayaquil (south of Portete de Tarquí Avenue)
Event: Transnational criminal groups and local gangs operating in Guayaquil have recently carried out a series of violent crimes in the region south of Portete de Tarquí Avenue, to include several murders and targeted assassinations, armed robberies, and assaults. As a result of the increased violence, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulate General personnel and family members have been directed to avoid all areas in Guayaquil south of Portete de Tarquí Avenue until further notice.
Please take the following actions:
- Avoid all areas in Guayaquil south of Portete de Tarquí Avenue.
- Exercise caution if transiting through affected areas.
- Maintain increased vigilance.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in STEP to receive security updates.