Location: Guayaquil and Esmeraldas
Event: The Government of Ecuador declared November 1 a 30-day State of Emergency for Guayas and Esmeraldas provinces in response to ongoing coordinated attacks by transnational criminal groups and local gangs. The order permits the government to increase police presence in the affected provinces and imposes a daily 9:00 pm curfew each night. Violent attacks on police and public spaces in Guayas and Esmeraldas provinces continue. We urge you to remain vigilant, avoid public and crowded areas and venues, and closely monitor the situation for updates.
Please take the following actions:
- Exercise extreme caution and maintain increased vigilance in Guayaquil and Esmeraldas.
- Be aware of your surroundings and avoid large gatherings.
- Limit travel to daylight hours.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in STEP to receive security updates.