Location: Guayaquil and Esmeraldas
Event: Transnational criminal groups and local gangs carried out a series of violent crimes across Guayaquil and Esmeraldas during overnight hours of November 1, including the assassination of two police officers and the attempted assassination of two others. Assailants detonated explosives in at least eleven locations, indiscriminately targeting public locations in both cities. They have threatened additional attacks. U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulate General personnel have been directed to exercise extreme caution in Guayaquil and Esmeraldas and to limit travel to daytime hours only until further notice. All routine American citizen services and visa appointments scheduled for Wednesday, November 2 at the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil will be rescheduled for a later date.
Please take the following actions:
- Exercise extreme caution and maintain increased vigilance in Guayaquil and Esmeraldas.
- Be aware of your surroundings and avoid large gatherings.
- Limit travel to daylight hours.
- Monitor local news for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in STEP to receive security updates.