Given the requests for information from the media regarding the U.S. Government support in the investigation of the assassination of presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio, the Embassy of the United States hereby informs the public that:
- The assassination of any presidential candidate undermines the rule of law and the ability of voters to choose their leaders freely and without fear.
- The assassination of Mr. Villavicencio and the resulting violence in the midst of an election campaign is a direct attack on Ecuador’s democracy.
- The U.S. Government immediately accepted the President’s request to provide technical assistance and professional advice through the FBI.
- The United States seeks to combine efforts with Ecuadorian authorities and to share experience from other organized crime investigations worldwide.
- Our technical and professional support to Ecuadorian authorities is ongoing.
- The U.S. State Department rewards program is currently offering:
- Up to $5 million for information leading to the arrest and/or conviction of the accomplices and masterminds of the murder; and,
- Up to $1 million for information leading to the identification or location of any person in a key leadership position in the Transnational Organized Crime group responsible for the murder of Mr. Villavicencio.
- Persons wishing to provide information for these rewards may contact Informa@recompensas131.org. Within Ecuador, one can call the “131” line. Information can be anonymous, and all identities will be kept strictly confidential.
- While the investigation by Ecuadorian authorities is progressing, this U.S. Mission will not comment on actions or details of the case.