The Department of State Updated its Travel Advisory for Ecuador on April 9, 2019.
The full text of the new Travel Advisory follows:
April 9, 2019
Ecuador – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise increased caution in Ecuador due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Do not travel to:
Carchi, Sucumbíos, and the northern part of Esmeraldas provinces, including Esmeraldas city, due to crime.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Ecuador:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Follow the Department of State on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Ecuador.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.
Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Carchi, Sucumbíos, and northern Esmeraldas Provinces – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Transnational crime groups operating in Esmeraldas province have engaged in violent crime and killed local citizens in addition to carrying out bombings targeting Ecuadorian military and law enforcement.
The U.S. government is limited in its ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in the Colombian border area, as U.S. government personnel cannot travel to the provinces of Esmeraldas, Carchi, and Sucumbíos without permission from the Embassy’s security office. However, U.S. government personnel are permitted to travel to the northern bank of the Napo River in Sucumbíos, an area approximately four miles wide, and the portion of Esmeraldas province that is south of Esmeraldas city.
Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll inSmart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter