Submitting your eCRBA application

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil! This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

1. Gather all of the required documentation and scan each document

The process will require you to scan and upload the documentation, so think ahead. Scan the documents you will upload later and give the files a meaningful name (i.e. Proof of ID Parent One, Child’s Birth Certificate).

Before you begin the process online, we recommend that you collect the following documents:

  • Ecuadorian birth registration (Acta Registral de Nacimiento) issued within the last 30 days.
    You get this from the Ecuadorian Civil Registry.
  • Proof of citizenship for U.S. Citizen parent(s)
    Valid U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate or Naturalization/Citizenship certificate.
  • Proof of ID for parents
    • U.S. Citizens: U.S. passport.
    • Non-U.S. Citizens: Foreign passport or Ecuadorian “cedula.”
  • Proof of marriage of parents, if applicable
    • If a current marriage took place in Ecuador: An “Acta Registral de Matrimonio” issued within the last 30 days is required.
    • If outside of Ecuador: Marriage Certificate/License; if is not in English or Spanish, it needs to be translated.
  • Documentation of previous marriages, if applicable
    • If the previous marriages took place in Ecuador: An amended “Acta Registral de Matrimonio – marginada” issued within the last 30 days is required.
    • If outside of Ecuador: Divorce decree or Divorce Certificate; if is not in English or Spanish, it needs to be translated.
    • If a previous marriage terminated by the passing of the spouse, provide death certificate.
  • Physical presence documentation of transmitting parent
    Any documents that can support your physical presence in the United States for a long period of time.  Please keep in mind that residence is not the same as physical presence, in this process you need information/documentation that can prove your physical presence in the United States.  Here is a list of the most common documentation submitted as Proof of Physical Presence:

    • School or University transcripts.
    • Employment certificates that mention the time period of your job and if it was in person or virtual.
    • Entry/exit record of Ecuador (Movimiento Migratorio) or from the United States.
    • Passport pages with entry/exit stamps.
    • For Armed Forces (Navy, Marines, Army, etc.) or Government entities (DoD, DoS, etc.) with overseas personnel:
      • Form LES or DD-214.
      • Records of service for the U.S. Government or U.S. Armed Forces.
      • Evidence that shows that you were a dependent of an Employee of the U.S. Government with overseas orders.
  • Pregnancy records
    Medical records related to the pregnancy that may include:

    • Live birth certificate (INEC – Nacido Vivo).
    • Ultrasounds with dates and mother’s name.
    • Doctor’s reports.
    • Pregnancy photographs (if other documents are unavailable).
    • Letters and documentation related to Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), if applicable.
      ART includes in vitro, insemination and other fertility treatments where eggs or embryos are handled for the purpose of establishing a pregnancy.
  • Photograph
    A recent, 2” by 2” (5cm c 5cm), color photograph with white background of the applicant.  Please make sure the image complies with the requirements.

2. Make a list of all the dates that the U.S. Citizen parent has been physically present inside the United States.

You will need to enter the dates of physical presence in the online application. We recommend you a make list by hand or in a spreadsheet file. This means that if you left the U.S. for even one day, on vacation to Canada, Mexico, or any other place outside the U.S. or any of its outlying possessions, these dates should not be included on this list.

  • U.S. citizen parents should include ALL physical presence in the U.S., even if it occurred before they became a U.S. citizen. This can include physical presence in the U.S. as a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card holder), B1/B2 tourist, F1 student, J1 intern, etc. This also includes time spent in the U.S. without status.
  • Use previous and current passports with passport stamps, previous airline tickets, itineraries, or reservations to confirm your dates.
  • It is important to remember that you must include only the time you were physically present in the United States. If you spent five years abroad, then your timeline will have a 5-year gap between when you left the U.S. and resuming when you returned to the U.S.
    • For example, if you were born and raised in your home state, and you only did a study abroad during your 2010 spring semester, then you would list your physical presence as:
      • City, State    Birth date – Date you left the U.S.
      • City, State    Date you returned to the U.S. – Date you left the U.S. again
  • Start from your date of birth and list the dates chronologically.
  • If you moved a lot in your life, then write down when you moved to a different city.  Moves within the same city should not be given their own line.
  • It’s fine if you don’t remember the exact dates of your trips abroad when you were a child.  Try to at least include the month/year that you left and returned to the U.S.  Look for the entry and exit stamps in your old passports for reference.
  • While in high school or college did you ever do a study abroad program or vacation abroad during summer/winter break.
  • Start from the first date that you entered the U.S. and list the dates chronologically.
  • If you moved a lot while in the U.S., write down when you moved to a different city.  Moves within the same city should not be given their own line.
  • If you spent time in the U.S. as a child and want the time to be counted towards your Physical Presence in the U.S., then you may be asked to provide documented evidence of the time: old passports with entry/exit stamps, plane tickets, school documents, etc.
  • If you studied in the U.S., did you go abroad during summer or winter breaks?  Did you visit relatives who lived abroad?

3. Scan the documentation

You will need to upload all the Required Documentation. We recommend that you scan the documentation and label it. The system allows image files and PDF files. PDF files are preferred. Note the system has a 10MB limit for each scanned file.


4. Begin your online application process

To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account. Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. All the documentation you have scanned will need to be uploaded on the eCRBA website.

5. Make an appointment for your interview

Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will receive information regarding how to make your appointment.


Other Important Information

  • If you are unable to submit an application online, please follow the steps on the Legacy Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Process webpage to submit a paper-based application.
  • A passport application can be submitted at the same time that you have your interview.  You will receive more information after you submit your eCRBA application.

Please note that an application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, please contact the Regional Federal Benefits Office for Ecuador in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: FBU Inquiry Form – U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic (

Do not make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy. Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents. Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. If the document is not in English/Spanish, you must provide an English translation. The child must be present at the time of interview.

We are here to help!

You can access eCRBA 2.0 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Here: Electronic CRBA Frequently Asked Questions

You can also view an application how-to-guide.

If you have reviewed all the information on the previous pages and our website and you still need information, please contact us at: