Death of a U.S. Citizen

Death is a time of crisis for one’s family and friends no matter where it takes place. If death occurs overseas the experience can be even more traumatic, especially if the procedures involved are not clearly understood.

Consular officers can:

  • Help identify, locate, and notify next-of-kin
  • Issue Consular Reports of Death Abroad, based on the local death certificate
  • Take possession of the personal effects of a deceased U.S. citizen
  • Provide guidance on local burials or cremation
  • Issue consular mortuary certificates for the return of remains to the United States

U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil

From Monday through Friday
Between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. – Except on local and U.S. Holidays.

For detailed information about burial and funeral costs in Ecuador or the cost of repatriating a loved one’s remains to the United States, please read the Disposition of Remains Report located on the right side of this webpage. This document also explains the local laws and facilities that impact these cases.  It is important to remember that the U.S. Government is not able to assist financially with local burials or the repatriation of remains of U.S. citizens.

If a family member will not be coming to Ecuador, please note that the family may need to get a Power of Attorney giving permission to the funeral home or your representative in Ecuador to handle these affairs.  The Power of Attorney, in order to be valid in Ecuador, needs to be done at an Ecuadorian Embassy/Consulate or, if is done at a U.S. notary, needs to have an Apostille and needs to be translated into Spanish.

For more information about Apostilles in the U.S. please check the Hague Convention website, usually the issuing authority will be the Secretary of State of each state.

Please contact the ACS Unit for assistance.

Additional Information

For more information about Death Abroad you can access the Department of State website at