Requesting a Report of Death Abroad

In the unfortunate event of the death of a loved one you will need to request a Report of Death Abroad, which is the equivalent of a U.S. Death Certificate.

In order to obtain a Report of Death Abroad, the following documents must be submitted to the Consular Section:

  • Death Certificate from the Ecuadorian Civil Registry.
    One (1) original (we will not be able to return this original document)
  • U.S. Passport (and naturalization certificate, if applicable) of the deceased.
    Original and one (1) copy
  • Certificate from the funeral home stating that the remains have been buried, cremated, or embalmed.  This certificate must be requested from the funeral home.
    Original and one (1) copy
  • If possible, Autopsy Certificate or Medical Certificate of Death from the attending physician.
    Original and one (1) copy

U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil

From Monday through Friday
Between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. – Except on local and U.S. Holidays.

The information detailed on the Supplemental Information for Report of Death form (PDF 1.02mb) must also be provided.

Upon receipt of the original documentation and completed form, the Embassy or Consulate will issue a Consular Report of Death Abroad (20 originals).  There is no fee for this service, but there is a fee for additional copies.

If a family member will not be coming to Ecuador, please note that the family may need to get a Power of Attorney giving permission to the funeral home or your representative in Ecuador to handle these affairs.  The Power of Attorney, in order to be valid in Ecuador, needs to be done at an Ecuadorian Embassy/Consulate or, if is done at a U.S. notary, needs to have an Apostille and needs to be translated into Spanish.

For more information about Apostilles in the U.S. please check the Hague Convention website, usually the issuing authority will be the Secretary of State of each state.

If you are taking the remains to the U.S. you will need additional documentation, please review our Transporting remains to the United States section for more information.

More information about the Report of Death Abroad can be located in the Department of State website.