Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. citizens sometimes face emergencies while overseas.  In most cases, family or friends can send money directly to a U.S. citizen overseas through Western Union.  If you do not have a picture ID some Western Union agencies in Ecuador may be able to disburse money under your name with a copy of your ID and the police report.  If this is not an option for you, the Embassy or Consulate can also receive the money and disburse it to the U.S. citizen under an specific process that is detailed on the travel.state.gov website under the “Sending Money to Destitute U.S. Citizens Overseas” section.

What can the Embassy do for you?

You can come to the closest Embassy or Consulate to request assistance but unfortunately we do not give loans.  We can help you, in the case of an emergency, to get in touch with your relatives and your financial institutions in the U.S.

If you need to get back to the U.S. and do not have the means to do so we can also help you with this matter.  It is a long process so we recommend you make an appointment or contact the Consular Section before visiting us.

For more information on Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad please check the Department of State website.