Frequently Asked Questions about American Citizen Services

In this page you will find the most common questions we receive.  We suggest that you look for your question below or browse through our U.S. Citizen Services section of our website.  Please remember that if the answer to your questions is published on this page or our website you will not receive an answer to your e-mail.

Esta información aún no está disponible en Español.

The U.S. Embassy in Quito and the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil are not taking regular passport renewals in person.  Everything is done via courier, however, not everyone qualifies to use this service.  Please check the following webpage: and answer all the questions.  At the end, it will tell you if you qualify for this service and what are the steps that you need to follow.

if you were issued an emergency, limited validity, passport and the passport has less than a year of being issued.  You can replace this type of passport via courier, please check the following webpage: and answer all the questions.  At the end, it will tell you if you qualify for this service and what are the steps that you need to follow.

There are passport renewals that cannot be renewed via courier.  If you need to fill out a DS-11 form because you are:

  • A minor renewing your U.S. passport.
  • An adult whose last passport only had a 5 year validity.
  • An adult with an expired passport that was issued more than 15 years ago.
  • Trying to get a new passport because your last passport was lost or stolen.
  • Applying for U.S. passport for the first time.
  • under any other special circumstance that requires a DS-11 form.

You need to make an appointment and have the passport executed in front of an officer or acceptance agent.  Please follow the steps under the “Apply for a Passport” tab on the following webpage:

If your previous passport has expired or it was canceled when you renewed your passport you may choose this option.  If you sent a passport renewal by mail and forgot to pay for the return waybill, you would also need to follow this procedure:

You can go to any of the DHL authorized branch that provides this service, you may access the following link: to find the closest agency.  You may also contact DHL by e-mail at  Please make sure you tell them the name of the applicant of the U.S. passport.  Once you have the waybill, please request the agency/representative to send you the waybill by e-mail and forward us the e-mail with the waybill in PDF format.

If we do not receive the waybill we won’t be able to send you the passport.

There are some documents that we can notarize: Power of Attorneys, Translations, Affidavits and other documents.  If you are looking for how to do to this, you can check our Notarial Services Section:

If you need to certify or apostille a document issued in the United States like a U.S. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate or any document issued by a U.S. State authority.  The U.S. Mission in Ecuador is not able to do this service, please check the following webpage for additional information:

Most Embassies or Consulate around the world are able to do this, however for the United States this records are managed and issued at a state level and the only way to get them “certified” is by requesting an Apostille.  The U.S. Mission in Ecuador is unable to do Apostilles, for information on how to get an Apostille, please check the following webpage:

For information about getting married in Ecuador you need to check the Ecuadorian government website.  They are the ones that set the requirements and procedure in order to do this.

Please check the Registro Civil website: or contact your closest Ecuadorian Embassy or Consulate:

There is some general information posted on our website, however, we recommend you check the latest information on the Ecuadorian government wesbites.

Many people are in a difficult situation due to the pandemic and other factors.  Unfortunately the U.S. Mission does not have any financial aid programs.

The Economic Impact Payments that are handled by the U.S. Government are being administered by the IRS, you would need to contact them directly:

The U.S. Mission in Ecuador offer very limited services regarding Social Security, most of these services or request are handled by the Regional Federal Benefits Office assigned to Ecuador.

Please check our Social Security section for additional information on available services:

If you want to register your trip with the U.S Mission Ecuador Embassy you have to register the STEP program.

Registration has proven to be very effective worldwide.  In case of an emergency, natural disaster or pandemic, this is the method U.S. Embassies and Consulates around the world use to send important information to people who are overseas, like evacuation notifications and others.

To register your trip, please go to the STEP website: and don’t forget to set a departure date on your registered trip, otherwise you will continue to receive notifications even if you are not in the country.

The voting abroad program is handle by the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP –, you can check their website for specific information.

If you are looking for information about how and when to drop off your ballot, please check the Voting section of our website:

Unlike Ecuador, where these documents are issued by one centralized entity, in the United States, this type of documents are issued by each state.

You would need to contact the Vital Records office of the state that issued the document, you can find contact information for each state on the following website: Where to Write for Vital Records – Homepage (

Unfortunately the U.S. Mission in Ecuador is unable to issue/obtain your background check or get your fingerprints taken.

We do have a dedicated section to this inquiry, please check our website:


You may be able to do this, however you would need to get a certification by your State’s DMV and it will depend on local authorities accepting the document.

The U.S. Mission in Ecuador does not provide this service nor issues any kind of certificate, you can find more information on our website:

To have an Ecuadorian driver license, you would just need to follow the regular procedure to request a license.

Non-ACS (American Citizen Services) related inquiries

Any inquiries regarding visas that are sent to our e-mail address ( will not be replied, even if you are a U.S. Citizen requesting information about the U.S. Visa of a third party.

The ACS section does not handle issues related to visas.  Please check the U.S. Mission Ecuador Visa Section page for contact information:

If you are a U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR) stranded outside of the United States due to COVID-19, you may find the information below useful.

Please note, the U.S. Mission in Ecuador does not set travel policies for lawful permanent residents (LPRs). U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) retains jurisdiction over the status of LPRs and any request for official guidance should be directed to them. Unfortunately, USCIS does not have an office in Ecuador.  For additional information, please contact the USCIS offices directly:

There several sections that work within the Embassy and Consulate.  If you have sent a document that is not relevant to ACS (American Citizen Services) it will not reach its destination.  Please check the Sections and Offices webpage:

If you are trying to reach the Ambassador’s office, our recommendation is to send the document to the Public Diplomacy Section.