Translation Services

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. The order in which they appear has no significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The U.S. Embassy or Consulate does not provide any kind of Translation Services but we do certify the translations.  If you need translation services, we refer you to the Ecuadorian Judicial Council’s Professional Services website (choose “Interpretes y traductores” from the “Profesion” menu) or to the Ecuadorian Association of translators and interpreters (ATIEC) 

Certification of Translation by a U.S. Consular Officer

Some procedures may require having documents in Spanish to be translated into English and this translation may need to be notarized.  If this is the case then you need to request a Notarial Service.  A sworn affidavit by the translator will be certified.  This in no way certifies the validity or content of the translation.

Can anyone translate the document?
This will be up to the entity that is requesting the document.  For example, if they are requesting a translation of a Marriage Certificate, they may not want the translation to be done by any of the parties involved.

For more information about the Certification of the Translation please read our Notarial Services section.