Replacing a U.S. passport using a DS-5504 form

You qualify to have your passport replaced using a DS-5504 form; this form can only be used when:

  • Replacing an emergency limited validity passport
    An emergency passport is a passport with limited validity (usually up to a yea) that is given to applicants with an urgent need to travel.
  • Replacing a passport with printing errors
  • Replacing a passport if your information has changed
    These replacements can only be done as long as the replacement is requested within the year of the issuance date and the passport does not have any prohibition to use this method. If a prohibition is set, it will be marked in the endorsement page of the passport.

If you have reached this page directly, please review the Applying for a U.S. passport section to ensure you qualify to use form DS-5504.

To be able to use this form, the passport replacement must be done before a year has passed of the issuance date.  Example: if the passport was issued on March 30, 2020, we must receive your application until March 29, 2021.

At this time, U.S. Mission Ecuador is not accepting in-person submissions of DS-5504 applications for regular passport replacements.  The only available option is to replace the passport via DHL.  If you are travelling in less than 8 weeks, please follow the instructions under Requesting an emergency passport on the lower portion of this webpage.

How do I apply using the DHL service?

To replace your passport by mail, follow these steps to print and complete Form DS-5504, gather the required documentation, and send everything via DHL to the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil.

  1. Print and complete the Form DS-5504, including page 1 of the instructions (print on one-sided pages only).
    Here are some important details not to miss:

    • Remember to sign and date your application, if your application is missing the signature or the date, it will be returned.  You must sign the form using the same signature that appears in your last passport.  If your signature has changed since your last passport renewal, please provide legal proof of new signature (examples include copy of residence card, U.S. driver’s license, federal or state-issued ID, or another passport).
    • If you are filling the form by hand, please use black ink.
    • Field # 5 – If you have been issued a Social Security Number (SSN), you must provide it in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).  Failure to do so can substantially delay processing time. If you have never been issued a SSN see the section below.
    • Field # 6 – You must provide an email address; all communications are conducted via email.
    • Field # 7 & 8 – You must provide a local telephone number (in Ecuador) and address. This is for information purposes; the passport will be shipped to the DHL agency of your choice.
    • Field # 9 – You must include your birth name, maiden name, or other names that you have legally used in the past.  For dual citizens (Ecuadorian/U.S. Citizen), applicants must include both last names as is listed on their Ecuadorian ID.
    • All fields should be filled out correctly and completely.  Failure to do so can substantially delay processing time.
      For minors under 16 years old
      One of the parents can sign the application, please attach a photocopy of a picture ID that shows your signature.
  2. Photo: Include a 2″ x 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) color photo with a white background that was taken within the past six months, avoid sending the same picture you used to apply for your emergency passport.  Please write your name on the back of the picture and make sure that the picture complies with the requirements.
    *If your picture does not comply with the requirements or is the same one in your emergency passport, your application will be returned, and you will have to pay the courier service again.
  3. U.S. Passport and Bio Page Copy: Include the U.S. passport you are renewing, make sure it is signed, along with a photocopy of its biographic page.  The photocopy can be in color or black/white.  The previous passport must be signed.
    *If we do not receive your passport or if is not signed, your application will be returned, and you will have to pay the courier service again
  4. Mail your application and all supporting: Go to an authorized DHL agency and send your passport application and all supporting documentation/requirements.
  5. If your passport had a print error or you are changing your information on your current passport, please the sections below.

Please check our Passport Replacement by mail using a DS-5504 form Quick Sheet if you need further assistance.

Mailing your application:

When mailing your application, please ensure to include all required documentation. Failure to submit a complete application and supporting documents can substantially delay processing time and/or have your application rejected.

  1. DHL Courier Services:
    1. Only selected DHL locations are authorized to process this service.  Use the following link to find the closest authorized  DHL agency nearest to you: or via e-mail to
    2. From the DHL agency, mail your passport application to the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil:
      • U.S. Embassy in Quito mailing address
        Embajada de Estados Unidos
        Ave. Guayacanes N52-205 y Ave. Avigiras
        170514 – Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
      • U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil mailing address
        Consulado General de Estados Unidos
        Calle Santa Ana y Av. José Rodriguez Bonin
        090603 – Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
  2. Payment of courier fees:
    • You will be required to pay $22.00 + IVA (local taxes) to send your application and $22.00 + IVA to receive your passport back.
    • You may send multiple applications to the Embassy or Consulate in one DHL envelope, however, each passport must be returned individually.  Remember to include a separate pre-paid waybill for each passport application to be returned to you.  For example, if you send two passport book applications you could pay $22.00 + IVA to mail them to the Embassy or Consulate in the same envelope; for the return of your two passports, you would pay $44.00 + IVA so that each passport is returned separately.
    • The courier service is billed directly by DHL, we are unable to collect any fees related to courier services.  Please reach out to DHL directly for more information.

How long does it take to get my new passport?

The entire process takes between 35 to 40 business days once it reaches the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

You can track your shipment via DHL to see when your application arrived at the Embassy or Consulate.  From this date you can being to count 35 to 40 business days.
The next e-mail you would receive from us, is an automated e-mail that will notify that the new passport has arrived at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Once we have the new passport, it will take up to 5 business days for DHL to pick it up.  You can track the return of your passport with DHL using the return waybill number.

If 40 business days have passed since we receive your application, and you have not received an e-mail or your new passport, please contact us by email. If is less than 40 days, your e-mail will not be replied to.

Given this is a mail-in service; you may be called for an interview if it is required by the Consular Officer.  Also keep in mind that we may request additional documentation to support the application.

Additional Documentation

Please remember that you can only use this form if you are submitting the form within a year of the date of issuance.

Documentation to be submitted

Sometimes passports get printed with errors, either by a data entry error or by an applicant’s oversight.

If you want to correct these errors, in addition to the previous list of requirements, you need to submit original documentation regarding the information that needs to be changed.

You can provide the following original documentation with the correct information:

  • Previous U.S. passports
  • U.S. Birth Certificates
  • Naturalization or Citizenship Certificate

Please keep in mind that the passport with the erro will not be returned.

If you have any questions, please contact us before sending your application.

Please remember that you can only use this form if you are submitting the form within a year of the date of issuance.

Documentation to be submitted

In addition to the previous list of requirements. You need to submit original documentation regarding the information that has changed. For example:

  • Name change
    If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy or original of the U.S. legal name change document. A court order or divorce decree.
    If you had a divorce, the divorce decree must specify that you are to use your name before the marriage. If the divorced does not mention this in detail, you need to request a name change using a DS-11 form.

If you have any questions, please contact us before sending your application.

Frequently Asked Questions

It is mandatory to include your SSN on the application. Under very particular circumstances a U.S. Citizen may not have a SSN.

If you are completely sure that you do not have a SSN, you need to write down zeros (000-00-0000) in the application and fill out a sworn statement, under penalty of perjury, stating that you never had a SSN. You may use our No Social Security Number statement sample. Please fill out only the portion that applies to you.

If you do not know if you ever had a SSN assigned, you need to contact the Regional Federal Benefits Office in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic at

If, after contacting the Regional Office, you are unable to retrieve your SSN. Please leave the SSN field blank, apply in person and bring the e-mail thread with the Regional Office on  the day of your appointment.

If you do not fill the field of the forms properly or there is missing information in the form, the application will be put on hold and delay the processing of your new passport.

We recommend you review this website or the Quick Fact Sheet

If you qualify to use a form DS-5504 and need an emergency passport, the only way to obtain it is to apply for a new passport and follow the instructions under Applying for a U.S. Passport using a DS-11 form.