Filling out form DS-11 for overseas applications

You can fill out the DS-11 form online or print out and fill out by hand.  If you fill out the form electronically, at the end of the questionnaire you will need to print the form and bring it at the time of the interview.

Keep in mind that you will be asked the following questions when filling out the form:

  • Names: You can use the name as it is on your citizenship document (previous U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Naturalization Certificate).
  • Place of Birth: If in the U.S., please specify city and state; if it is outside the U.S., please specify Country, City and province (if available).
  • Social Security Number: All U.S. citizens are required to have a Social Security Number.  If you do not have one, please enter zeros (000-00-0000)
  • Height: Please use measurements in feet and inches, you can use online tools to convert to feet and inches from meters.
  • Mailing/Permanent Address: You may use a U.S. address for either address, but we recommend using one address in Ecuador; if you are temporarily staying at a hotel, you may put in the name of the hotel.  Please remember that your permanent address cannot be a P.O. Box or Casilla Postal.
  • Email address:  You must include a valid e-mail address.
  • Phone numbers:  You must provide at least one valid phone number.
  • Emergency Contact:  Providing an emergency contact is not mandatory, but is encouraged.  In case of emergency this would be the Embassy’s or Consulate’s first Point of Contact.
    If your Emergency contact resides overseas, you can fill in this information by hand after printing the passport application.
  • Applying for a Passport Book, Passport Card or Both:  You may apply for a passport book and a passport card at the same time.  You can read more information about the passport card and what is the difference with a passport book on the website.
    Please keep in mind that the passport card will arrive 30 days after your regular passport book is delivered to the Embassy or Consulate.
  • Parents’ information: Please enter all the requested information.
    The full name of your parents at birth, even if they are deceased or you do not know their current location.  Include their city and state of birth, if they were born in the U.S., or their country, city, and province of birth if they were born outside the U.S.
  • Alias or having used another name: If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, these names must be provided.  Most Ecuadorian Citizens use or have used their father and mother’s surnames and these should be provided.  Women often change their names upon marriage, and these should be noted.
  • Print Your Form(s):  At the end of the online application wizard you will see the subtitle: “Print Your Form(s).”
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see an icon titled “Create Form”, click on this icon and the form will be generated on PDF for you to print.Filling out form DS-11 for overseas applications