You qualify to have your passport replaced using a DS-5504 form; this form can only be used to replace limited validity passports (emergency passports) and passports that had an error when they were printed within a year of its issue date. An emergency passport is a limited validity book (issued usually up to a year of validity) that is given to applicants with an urgent need to travel. If you have reached this page directly, please review the Renewing your U.S. passport section to ensure you qualify to use form DS-5504.
To be able to use this form, the passport replacement must be done before a year has passed of the issuance date. Example: if the passport was issued on March 30, 2020, we must receive your application until March 29, 2021.
At this time, U.S. Mission Ecuador is not accepting in-person submissions of DS-5504 applications for regular passport renewals. The only available option is to renew the passport via DHL. If you are travelling in less than 8 weeks, please see the information for Emergency Passports on the U.S. Mission Ecuador website.
How do I apply using the DHL service?
To replace your passport by mail, follow these steps to print and complete Form DS-5504, gather the required documentation, and send everything via DHL to the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil.
- Print and complete Form DS-5504, including page 1 of the instructions (print on one-sided pages only).
Here are some important details not to miss:
- Remember to sign and date your application, if your application is missing the signature or date it will be returned. You must sign the form using the same signature that appears in your last passport. If your signature has changed since your last passport renewal, please provide legal proof of new signature (examples include: copy of residence card, driver’s license, federal or state-issued ID, or another passport).
- If you are filling the form by hand, please use black ink.
- Field # 5 – If you have been issued a Social Security Number, you must provide it in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). Failure to do so can substantially delay processing time.
- Field # 6 – You must provide an email address; all communications are conducted via email.
- Field # 7 & 8 – You must provide a local telephone number (in Ecuador) and address. This is for information purposes; the passport will be shipped to the DHL agency of your choice.
- Field # 9 – You must include your birth name, maiden name, or other names that you have legally used in the past. For dual citizens (Ecuadorian/U.S. Citizen), applicants must include both last names as is listed on their Ecuadorian ID.
- All fields should be filled out correctly and completely. Failure to do so can substantially delay processing time.
One of the parents can sign the application, please attach a photocopy of a picture ID that shows your signature.
- Photo: Include a 2″ x 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) color photo with a white background that was taken within the past six months, avoid sending the same picture you used to apply for your emergency passport. Please write your name on the back of the picture and make sure that the picture complies with the requirements.
*If your picture does not comply with the requirements or is the same one in your emergency passport, your application will be returned and you will have to pay the courier service again.
- U.S. Passport and Bio Page Copy: Include the U.S. passport you are renewing, make sure it is signed, along with a photocopy of its biographic page. The photocopy can be in color or black/white. The previous passport must be signed.
*If we do not receive your passport or if is not signed, your application will be returned, and you will have to pay the courier service again
- Name change documents (if applicable): If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy or original of the U.S. legal name change document. Examples include: U.S. Marriage certificate, U.S. Divorce decree or U.S. Court-ordered name change document.
- Mail your application and all supporting: Go to an authorized DHL agency and send your passport application and all supporting documentation/requirements.
Please check our Passport Replacement by mail using a DS-5504 form Quick Sheet if you need further assistance.
Mailing your application:
When mailing your application, please ensure to include all required documentation. Failure to submit a complete application and supporting documents can substantially delay processing time and/or have your application rejected.
- DHL Courier Services:
- Only selected DHL locations are authorized to process this service. Use the following link to find the closest authorized DHL agency nearest to you: https://bit.ly/reddhlexpressecuador or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From the DHL agency, mail your passport application to the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil:
- U.S. Embassy in Quito mailing address
Embajada de Estados Unidos
Attn: AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Ave. Guayacanes N52-205 y Ave. Avigiras
170514 – Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
- U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil mailing address
Consulado General de Estados Unidos
Attn: AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Calle Santa Ana y Av. José Rodriguez Bonin
090603 – Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
- U.S. Embassy in Quito mailing address
- Payment of courier fees:
- You will be required to pay $22.00 + IVA (local taxes) to send your application and $22.00 + IVA to receive your passport back.
- You may send multiple applications to the Embassy or Consulate in one DHL envelope, however, each passport must be returned individually. Remember to include a separate pre-paid waybill for each passport application to be returned to you. For example, if you send two passport book applications you could pay $22.00 + IVA to mail them to the Embassy or Consulate in the same envelope; for the return of your two passports, you would pay $44.00 + IVA so that each passport is returned separately.
- The courier service is billed directly by DHL, we are unable to collect any fees related to courier services. Please reach out to DHL directly for more information.
How long does it take to get my new passport?
The entire process takes between 35 to 40 business days once it reaches the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
You can track your shipment via DHL to see when your application arrived at the Embassy or Consulate. From this date you can being to count 35 to 40 business days.
The next e-mail you would receive from us, is an automated e-mail that will notify that the passport has arrived at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Once we have the new passport, it will take up to 5 business days for DHL to pick it up. You can track the return of your passport with DHL using the return waybill number.
If 40 business days have passed since we receive your application, and you have not received an e-mail or your new passport, please contact us by email.
Given this is a mail-in service; you may be called for an interview if it is required by the Consular Officer. Also keep in mind that we may request additional documentation to support the application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I fill out the information incorrectly?
If you do not fill the field of the forms properly or there is missing information in the form, the application will be put on hold and delay the processing of your new passport.
We recommend you review this website or the Quick Fact Sheet