On April 18, 2021, U.S. Mission Ecuador began accepting online fee payments for adult U.S. passport renewal applications. Paying online allows you to send your application to the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate without the need to send a “cheque de gerencia” or “cheque de emergencia”. Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal. See our Pay.gov section for more information on this new process.
Please note that the online fee option is limited to U.S. citizens residing in Ecuador. U.S. citizens who reside outside of Ecuador are not eligible for the online fee payment option at this time. Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only. If you wish to apply for a passport card or renew a passport card, please see our “Applying for a Passport Card” section below.
You qualify to have your passport renewed via DHL using a DS-82 form. If you have reached this page directly, please review the Renewing your U.S. passport section first to ensure you qualify to use this renewal service. The fees collected are non-refundable. If you do not qualify to use this service and make the payment online, you will not receive a refund.
U.S. Mission Ecuador encourages all applicants eligible to renew on a DS-82 application to renew their passport via DHL. If you are travelling in less than 4 weeks, please see the information for Emergency Passports on the U.S. Mission Ecuador website.
How do I apply using the DHL service?
To renew your passport by mail, follow these steps to print and complete Form DS-82, gather the required documentation, include the correct payment form and amount, and send everything via DHL to the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil.
- Print and complete Form DS-82, including page 1 of the instructions (print on one-sided pages only).
Here are some important details not to miss:
- Remember to sign and date your application, if your application is missing the signature or date it will be returned. You must sign the form using the same signature that appears in your last passport. If your signature has changed since your last passport renewal, please provide legal proof of new signature (examples include: copy of residence card, driver’s license, federal or state-issued ID, or another passport).
- If you are filling the form by hand, please use black ink.
- Field # 5 – If you have been issued a Social Security Number, you must provide it in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f). Failure to do so can substantially delay processing time.
- Field # 6 – You must provide an email address; all communications are conducted via email.
- Field # 7 & 8 – You must provide a local telephone number (in Ecuador) and address. This is for information purposes; the passport will be shipped to the DHL agency of your choice.
- Field # 9 – You must include your birth name, maiden name, or other names that you have legally used in the past. For dual citizens (Ecuadorian/U.S. Citizen), applicants must include both last names as is listed on their Ecuadorian ID.
- All fields should be filled out correctly and completely. Failure to do so can substantially delay processing time.
- Photo: Include a 2″ x 2″ (5 cm x 5 cm) color photo with a white background that was taken within the past six months. Please write your name on the back of the picture and make sure that the picture complies with the requirements.
*If your picture does not comply with the requirements, your application will be returned and you will have to pay the courier service again.
- U.S. Passport and Bio Page Copy: Include the U.S. passport you are renewing along with a photocopy of its biographic page. The photocopy can be in color or black/white.
*If we do not receive your passport, your application will be returned and you will have to pay the courier service again.
- Name change documents (if applicable): If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy or original of the U.S. legal name change document. Examples include: U.S. Marriage certificate, U.S. Divorce decree or U.S. Court-ordered name change document.
- Online Payment: Pay the $130.00 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site (Pay.gov). We cannot accept cash or personal checks (even from U.S. bank accounts). The courier fee is paid directly to DHL.
Print and Include Payment Confirmation: Upon successful payment of the fee, you will receive a confirmation email with the receipt of electronic payment. Print out the electronic payment confirmation and include it in the package you send to the Embassy or Consulate.
Payment for Passport Cards: If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport card, please see the instructions below under “Applying for a passport card.”
*If we do not receive the payment confirmation, your application will be returned and you will have to pay the courier service again.
- Mail your application and all supporting: Go to an authorized DHL agency and send your passport application and all supporting documentation/requirements.
Please check our Passport Renewal by mail using a DS-82 form Quick Sheet if you need additional assistance.
Mailing your application:
When mailing your application, please ensure to include all required documentation. Failure to submit a complete application, supporting documents, and correct payment can substantially delay processing time and/or have your application rejected.
- DHL Courier Services:
- Only selected DHL locations are authorized to process passport renewal services. Use the following link to find the authorized DHL agency nearest to you: https://bit.ly/reddhlexpressecuador or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From the DHL agency, mail your passport application to the U.S. Embassy in Quito or the U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil:
- U.S. Embassy in Quito mailing address
Embajada de Estados Unidos
Attn: AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Ave. Guayacanes N52-205 y Ave. Avigiras
170514 – Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
- U.S. Consulate in Guayaquil mailing address
Consulado General de Estados Unidos
Attn: AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Calle Santa Ana y Av. José Rodriguez Bonin
090603 – Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
- U.S. Embassy in Quito mailing address
- Payment of courier fees:
- In addition to your passport application fees, you will be required to pay $15.00 + IVA (local taxes) to send your application and $15.00 + IVA to receive your passport back.
- You may send multiple applications to the Embassy or Consulate in one DHL envelope; however, each passport must be returned individually. Remember to include a separate pre-paid waybill for each passport application to be returned to you. For example, if you send two passport book applications you could pay for one waybill (fee) to mail them to the Embassy or Consulate in the same envelope; for the return of your two passports, you will need to pay for two waybills (fees) so that each passport is returned separately.
If you are applying for a passport card, you would need a separate waybill as well since we are unable to hold the passport book until the card arrives.
- The courier service is billed directly by DHL, we are unable to collect any fees related to courier services. Please reach out to DHL directly for more information.
How long does it take to get my new passport?
The entire process takes between 25 to 30 business days once it reaches the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
You can track your shipment via DHL to see when your application arrived at the Embassy or Consulate. From this date you can being to count 25 to 30 business days.
The next e-mail you would receive from us, is an automated e-mail that will notify that the passport has arrived at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Once we have the new passport, it will take up to 5 business days for DHL to pick it up. You can track the return of your passport with DHL using the return waybill number.
If 30 business days have passed since we receive your application, and you have not received an e-mail or your new passport, please contact us by email.
Although this is a mail-in service, a Consular Officer may still require you to attend an interview. Also, we may request additional documentation to support the application.
Frequently Asked Questions
The first page of the DS-82 Form has different instructions and payment options, why do I have to follow the instructions on this website?
The DS-82 form designed to be used inside the United States, but it does include a note at the bottom of page 1 which details:
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS RESIDING ABROAD
United States citizens residing outside the U.S. or Canada CANNOT submit this form to domestic addresses listed on the Instruction Page 2. Such applicants
should visit www.usembassy.gov to find the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for procedures for applying outside the United States.
Each Embassy/Consulate is different and the requirements will change from country to country.
What is Pay.gov and how do I make a payment using Pay.gov?
The U.S. Department of State is conducting a pilot program allowing U.S. citizens resident in Ecuador to pay for a DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Application online. Beginning April 18, 2021, adult passport renewal applicants in Ecuador, can pay the application fees online via electronic funds transfer from a U.S. based bank account, U.S. or international credit or debit card, Amazon Pay, or PayPal. Paying online for a U.S. passport renewal through this mechanism allows you apply for a passport via courier without having to send a “cheque de gerencia” or “cheque de emergencia”. The process is also more convenient because you can make the payment 24 hours a day, seven days a week and you do not have to go to the financial institution to request a check.
Pay.gov Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the steps for paying online for my U.S. passport renewal via Pay.gov?
A: 1. Acknowledge the disclaimers and notices;
2. Verify your eligibility;
3. Visit the Pay.gov link;
4. Pay for the U.S. passport;
5. Await email confirmation for passport payment;
6. Print email confirmation of passport payment;
Q: What payment methods are available for use via Pay.gov?
A: You can pay the $130.00 fee by electronic check/transfer, credit/debit card, PayPal, or Amazon Pay on Pay.gov. This amount cannot be altered. If you wish to apply for a passport card, please check the “Applying for a passport card” section further below.
Q: I’m going to pay using a credit card issued in Ecuador. Is the charge local or international?
A: The payment is processed in the United States. Depending on the Ecuadorian entity that issued your card, additional fees may apply for an international charge. Check with your financial institution for additional information.
Q: Do I need special software or computer equipment to pay for my U.S. passport via Pay.gov?
A: No. All you need is a computer or mobile device with internet access and a web browser.
Q: Is the online process safe and how do I know that my payment information is secure?
A: Yes. The payment form on Pay.gov will be encrypted to ensure your personal information is secure. Pay.gov is a secure portal used by more 40 U.S. government agencies use to collect forms and payments. Pay.gov uses 128-bit SSL encryption to protect your transaction.
Q: Can I pay for more than one passport at a time in a single transaction on pay.gov?
A: No. You must complete a new payment form for each passport application.
I don't want to use Pay.gov, can I pay for the passport any other way?
If you want to apply for a passport book renewal, you will need to use Pay.gov.
If you send any other method of payment for your passport book, your application will be returned.
Applying for a passport card
If you would like to apply for a passport card, you may request both (book and card) on the same application, however we recommend that you send two applications, one for the passport book and one for the passport card.
If you decide to request a passport card, please include a “cheque de gerencia” or “cheque de emergencia” for the amount of $30.00, issued in the name of “U.S. Disbursing Officer”. The U.S. Embassy’s RUC is 1791845986001, in case the financial institution requests this information. We cannot accept cash, certified checks or personal checks (even from U.S. bank accounts) despite the information stated on the DS-82 instructions. If we do not receive a “cheque de gerencia” or “cheque de emergencia”, the passport card will not be processed, and the application may be returned.
How much does it cost to renew the passport by courier service?
The fees are as follows:
- $130.00 – Passport book renewal – paid in Pay.gov (see our Pay.gov section above)
- $ 30.00 – Passport card – require a “cheque de gerencia” or “cheque de emergencia” (see our Applying for a passport card seciton above)
The DHL service is charged directly by DHL.
What happens if I fill out the information incorrectly?
If you do not fill the field of the forms properly or there is missing information in the form, the application will be put on hold and delay the processing of your new passport.
We recommend you review this website or the Quick Fact Sheet