Victims of Crime

For immediate assistance during an emergency, dial 911. The operators speak Spanish, however it is recommended to ask if they have anyone that speaks English on the staff.

Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
+593-2-398-5000 (U.S. Embassy Quito)
+593-4-371-7000 (U.S. Consulate Guayaquil)

Help for American Victims of Crime in Ecuador

Being the victim of a crime in a foreign country can be a devastating and traumatic experience.  While no one can undo the emotional trauma, physical injury, or financial loss you may have experienced, the U.S. Mission in Ecuador is ready to help with the legal process.  We can assist you in managing the consequences of being a crime victim and provide you with information about accessing the local criminal justice system, and about other resources for crime victims abroad and in the United States.

A guide titled “Help for American Victims of Crime in Ecuador” located on the right side of this page is a general description of the criminal justice system in Ecuador as is relevant to victims of a crime.  The information included in this guide relating to the legal requirements in Ecuador is provided for general information purposes only.

If you have any specific questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.  If you have specific legal questions you may want to consult an attorney since we cannot provide any legal advice.  There are two lists of attorneys available on the right side of this webpage.

Reporting Crime

We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to report crimes with local authorities, this is important so statistics reflect the reality of the country’s safety.  You can approach the closest police station and ask where to file a police report, call 911, or approach an Ecuadorian Tourist Security Service Attention Center (only available in Quito.)

The Ecuadorian Tourist Security Service is an initiative by Quito Turismo, a government entity.  These “attention centers” (centros de atencion) provide both tourist information and a location to file police reports (denuncia) for visitors who have become victims of crime; usually these centers have staff that speak other languages besides Spanish.  Please visit the Quito Turismo website for more information.

It is also important that you reach out to the nearest Embassy or Consulate if you have been a victim of a crime.  This may be done by email to either: or Please provide us with as much information about the incident; including time, date, location, type of crime committed and whether weapons or violence were used. Please also include contact information so we may get in touch with you.

You can find more information for Victims Assistance, including programs, compensation and counseling, on the website.