Upcoming Event Alert – U. S. Mission Ecuador (January 29, 2018)
Location: Coastal locations in the following provinces in Ecuador:
- Santa Elena
Event: On Wednesday, January 31, 2018, the Ecuadorian Secretariat of Risk Management will conduct a tsunami evacuation drill in the coastal areas of five provinces. Sirens will indicate the start of the exercise, followed by an announcement saying, “Esto es un simulacro de tsunami” (“This is a tsunami drill”). Drill participants — including students, public employees, hotel guests, and private citizens — will move to designated safe zones at least 30 meters above sea level. The exercise will conclude with an announcement saying, “Se cancela la alerta” (“The drill has concluded”). In provinces where sirens have not yet been installed (Santa Elena, Guayas, and Galapagos), police officers and community volunteers will announce the start and end of the exercise, likely in tandem with church bells. The general public’s participation in the exercise is encouraged, but not mandatory.
Actions to Take:
- Review the Secretariat of Risk Management’s map of designated routes and safe zones to locate the nearest safe zone and evacuation route, regardless of whether you choose to participate in the drill.
- Review your personal security plans and have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Visit https://www.ready.gov/tsunamis for recommendations on actions to take prior to, during, and after a tsunami.
- U.S. Embassy Quito, Ecuador
+(593)(2) 398-5000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate General Guayaquil, Ecuador
+(593)(4) 371-7000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ecuador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter