Birth Outside the United States for LPRs

If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who returned to Ecuador to give birth, your child may be able to travel to the United States without a visa.

In order to qualify, the following conditions must apply:

  1. The child’s mother was a lawful permanent resident when she gave birth in Ecuador during a temporary visit;
  2. The child will enter the United States before s/he turns two years old; and
  3. The child will be taken to the United States by either parent on that parent’s first return to the United States after the child’s birth.

If you meet all of these requirements, you can purchase a ticket for the child without visiting the embassy.  You should travel with the child’s original birth certificate and your lawful permanent resident card which you can show to the airline to board the airplane and to Customs & Border Protection upon arrival in the United States.

8 CFR 211.1(b)(2) specifically authorizes a child who meets these criteria to travel without a visa, and states that an airline will not be fined for allowing such a child to travel to the United States.

If you or your child does not meet all of these criteria, you will need to file an I-130 petition for your child with USCIS.  Learn more at

NOTE: Although the U.S. Embassy in Ecuador has communicated this information to the airlines serving the United States from Ecuador, we recommend that you print a copy of this information on this website to present to the airline when you check-in for travel.