Frequently Asked Questions

Please make sure you review the information on the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service website.

Applicants for non-immigrant visas who are abandoning their permanent resident status should bring the completed form and the Legal Permanent Resident Card to their interview.

Please check the USCIS website for instructions (English or Spanish)

A U.S. citizen who has a permanent home or is stationed in a foreign country, but is visiting or is assigned to the United States temporarily; or

A foreign citizen who is in the United States on one of the following nonimmigrant visa categories:  B, E, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, or Q.

Important Note: Legal Permanent Residents (“Green Card” Holders) may not bring domestic employees holding nonimmigrant visas to the United States to work for them.  Neither can Green Card holders employ these domestic employees once the nonimmigrant has arrived in the United States.

Domestic employees who wish to travel to the United States with their employers must qualify for a B-1 (business) visa.  Any B-1 visa issued to a domestic employee will be annotated with the name of the employer.  The employer named on the visa is the ONLY person authorized to employ the visa holder during his/her time in the United States, and the employee must depart the United States before or with the employer.  Every non-immigrant visa applicant, including domestic employees, must qualify on his or her own for a non-immigrant visa, demonstrating strong ties to a country outside of the United States and a residence that they do not intend to abandon.

The domestic employee must come in person to the interview.  The employer does not need to accompany them.  In some cases, however, the consular official may request to speak with the employer personally.

Yes. Each domestic employee should:

  • Demonstrate that they have at least one year of experience working as a domestic employee;
  • Prove that they were employed by the current employer prior to applying for the visa;
  • Present a work contract signed by both the employer and the employee, which guarantees that the employee will receive the minimum or prevailing wage for domestic employee services in the United States during their time working in the United States.
    Minimum wage laws are posted online for your reference.