Business & Tourism (B1/B2)

Most applicants applying for a non-immigrant visa are temporary visitors coming to the United States for business or pleasure, and should apply for B visas. B-1 visas are issued to temporary visitors for business and short-term training. B-2 visas are issued to temporary visitors for pleasure. B-1/B-2 visas allow visitors to combine both purposes on a single trip.

The key to understanding this visa category is the temporary nature of the travel. Business people use B-1 visas for negotiating contracts and to attend exhibitions, conferences, short-term training, and consultations with suppliers and customers. Tourists use B-2 visas for sightseeing, visiting friends and relatives, and obtaining medical treatment. B-1/B-2 visas are not valid for employment in the United States.

Applicants for B-1/B-2 visas must demonstrate their intention to enter the United States for a temporary period, solely for the purpose of tourism and/or short-term business. Applicants must demonstrate sufficient social, economic, and other ties to their home country to compel the applicant to return after a temporary and lawful visit. Applicants must also demonstrate sufficient funds to cover travel expenses during their stay in the United States.

Required Documentation:

1. Valid passport
2. The printed DS-160 application form confirmation page
3. One recent (within the past six months) passport size photograph 50 mm x 50 mm (2″ x 2″) with a white background

Optional Documentation:

Optional documentation can vary depending on the applicant’s personal situation. Presentation of these documents does not guarantee visa issuance, and the documents may or may not be reviewed during your interview. Be prepared to explain to the officer and present evidence regarding why you are going to the United States and why you will return to Ecuador.

1. Passports containing all previous U.S. visas, even if expired
2. Proof of finances (bank statements, tax documents)
3. Proof of employment (pay slips, company credential, letter from human resources department)
4. Proof of education (university diploma)